Travel: Approved Drivers for CalArts' Vehicles
All Institute personnel (students, staff and faculty) who wish to receive insurance clearance to drive CalArts' vehicles for Institute business only must request permission to apply from the appropriate dean or department head. In order to become a CalArts Authorized Driver you must do the following:
1. Bring a current copy of your Department of Motor Vehicle driving record to the Facilities Management office – room D -100.*
2. Your DMV record will be reviewed by CalArts insurers, If approved:
- You will be required to take a short van-driving course
- Fill out CalArts Auto Safety Policy forms
Once you have completed the steps above you will be added to the CalArts Authorized Driver list.
*Please check with your school/program/department regarding a reimbursement policy.
3. Applicants with a California driver's license must then go to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and request a copy of his/her driving record for insurance purposes. The fee is approximately $5 and the copy of the record is usually available the same day.
4. Applicants with an out-of-state driver's license must obtain a copy of their driving record from the department of motor vehicles in their state. This can usually be done by mail or the Internet.
5. This driving record along with the approval slip are then taken to the Office of the Vice President for Administration.
6. The applicant will receive and must complete a "CalArts Driver Questionnaire" which will be turned in to the Facilities Office along with the DMV driving record and application to become an approved driver. To be approved a driver must have at least two years driving experience.
7. The driving record will be reviewed and the individual will be advised if his/her driving record is acceptable to our insurance carrier. If the record is approved, the appropriate offices will be advised by memo and the applicant will also receive a copy of this memo.
8. The individual is then eligible to reserve and check out Institute vans for Institute business and/or an academic project.